Saturday, March 04, 2006

Μάρτης (March string bracelet)

We have a custom, which we were following as children but it tends to be forgotten nowadays.

On the 1st of March the children are given a string bracelet - we call Μάρτη (i.e. March), made of two colours of strings: red and white. The two strings are twisted many times tightly and then tied around the wrist of the child. The child wears the Μάρτη during the whole month of March. The bracelet is supposed to protect from the sun who becomes stronger, as srping approaches. At the end of March the bracelet is cut off and the child should throw it on a roof, so that the swallows take it and use it to build their nest.

My maternal grand mother (Anneannemin) was making the Μάρτη for us.

I remembered this custom today, as a lady came into the shop and bought cotton perlé to make the Μάρτη. She bought red and white but also a turquoise cotton perlé, to blend with the red and white... It was the first time I heard of the turquoise in the Μάρτη. I assume it will be for the bad eye.

Do you have something similar?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Arakhnes, I'm witnessing considerable progress since I first visited your site (about a month ago, when Calliope sent me the link). Superb topics and excellent coverage altogether.

Katerina, your Μάρτης article is entirely to my taste (as you surely know). Çiğdem, we haven't met but I've heard the best about you and I'll be looking forward to meeting you some day. I'm Calliope's brother.

Cheers, ladies!

-Christos
chrispis@escape.gr