Sunday, February 26, 2006

Traditional home remedies for the cold

Kalispera!

I have been quite sick these days: a bad cold, cough, blocked chest, aches, etc... I don't like to take strong medication for the cold and I usually try to let it have its cycle and pass on its own. It takes a long time, though, and I usually get much worse before I get better. This time I remembered some traditional home remedies - foods I should rather say - and had them. I really feel they helped a lot, eased my cough and blocked nose.

Yogurt with garlic: I heard this from a Serbian colleague and since I like both garlic and yogurt, I decided to try it. I just crashed a lot of garlic into yogurt and ate it. It may be bad for the breath, but it is excellent for the cold! I now read that it is good for faryngitis and laryngytis, the common cold and fever. In Greece we know that garlic - and onion - is good for the heart. In fact, I was told that my grandfather - the one from Χειλή (Şile) - used to swallow one clove of garlic every day.

Latte caramellato: an italian traditional home medicine for the cough. You put several (3-4 or more if you like) spoonfuls of sugar in a wide pan and heat it until it caramelizes. Then you pour one cup of milk while stirring with a wooden spatula. The caramelized sugar solidifies when it comes in contact with the cold milk. You should then continue to stir carefully and let the milk boil till the caramel dissolves. You should drink it hot. You must be careful while preparing it, so as not to spill the caramel and get burned.

I hope you will not need these soon, but if you do try them and let me know if they will work for you.
Have a good week tomorrow!
Κατερίνα

No comments: