Monday, September 25, 2006

Notes from a Moscow resident

It's been only about 20 days since I last posted, but there have been so many changes since then! Moving to Moscow, changing a job that I had for the last 8 years, getting into a totally different environment... Thankfully, I had a long and good vacation during the summer, so I was able to deal with the stress and rush of the last few days. And I was fortunate that my sister was able to come to Cyprus to take over everything that had to do with the movers and putting the house in order after they emptied it.

The weather in Moscow is unusually warm - it was 29 degrees Celsius. So, I get to enjoy the outdoors during the weekends. Yesterday we went to a huge park, with many impressive soviet buildings, two huge and beautiful fountains, markets that sold plants and flowers, a botanic garden and a forest with many lakes in it! We crossed only a small part of it, but we were walking for 5 hours! I had to struggle not to buy flowers yet, but I made a list of all the plants I want to buy.

Next week I'll start looking for an apartment and hope to be settled before the winter comes!

Closing, I would like to add few comments:
  • the lemonade recipe is given to me by Mrs. Loula, my "mother" in Nicosia; she is a great person, full of life and always giving to others; I always admire her ecxcellent relationship with her close but also distant relatives, from her side and her husband's side; she is also an excellent cook! I was always planning to help her pick olives from the many olive trees she has, but was always at a trip when it was time to pick the olives
  • you and the other lemonade-preparation group added pizzaz to the lemonade recipe, with the special ice cubes, the presentation and the beautiful photo!
  • I want to greet my father through our Arakhne; he has recently started to read our blog - and I am told he likes it!
No photos for this posting, but I promise that as soon as I get a computer I'll be posting many many pictures... and I still need to find a way to send you the pictures from our vacation...

Da svidanya! (see you again! - I'll be able to write in Russian soon, as I am starting lessons)

2 comments:

Tijen said...

hey we miss you katarina!
reading your post made me want to come and visit you sooner than I hoped..
but unfortunately (fortunately! no negative thoughts) I'm going to be with my beauty, maya, soon. actually in two
days! next month I'll be in new york and be missing you and cigdem!
enjoy your time in moscow and pls. come back soon!
tijen

Anonymous said...

Zdravstvujte Katyusha dearest!

Haven't heard from you for a while, so I thought posting to your blogski. Don't you have an email yet? Couldn't see you in Skype either. Seems you've thrown a black stoneski behind you...

If you're under lots of BPressure, as I could read through your article, I could burn your summer photos on a CD and mail it to Cigdem. If you're interested (or if Cigdem is reading), let me have a postal address and I'll take care of it.

Show up!

-Christos