Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Merhaba!

It is 7:20 pm - I just finished the stressful day after a sleepless night! I was looking forward to doing something nice - such as writing this.

I went to the concert last evening. Although the stadium was not very nice and the spectators were not respectful to the artists, I ENJOYED the concert. It was the first time I heard an only men concert: four of our best singers, fantastic strong voices! The composer (Thanos Mikroutsikos) is also one of our best and his songs based on Kavvadias poetry are unique. They presented the songs in an unusual way last night, with a jazz twist. There were 6 instruments in the orchestra, plus the composer on the piano, and in many of the songs each instrument was playing a solo part, one after the other. Fantastic!

Maybe I have already told you, but an open air concert is my favourite form of entertainment. I feel that I really participate by singing.

Smart that you changed the name to Arachnes... I like it...

Here is how you fooled me yesterday: it is not true that in Greek the plural is formed by simply adding an s at the end of the singular. The last syllable is usually - if not always - changed in the plural. Example (one of your favourite words, not Greek in origin I think, but shows the point): dantella (lace) - dantelles (laces). In the case of ΑΡΑΧΝΗ (pronounced arachne, but the last e is i as in Izmir), the plural is ΑΡΑΧΝΕΣ (arachnes, the es is like in Estonia). In english it seems to need only an s. When I saw it, I read in with the Greek pronounciation and remained STUNNED!!!

Cooking news: I made a large pot of lahanodolmades (no need to translate) on Sunday night. They became delicious. Tonight we (my siste and I) will eat them with egg and lemon sauce. I told you that my youngest sister is in Cyprus since September, working here and living with me.

Decorating news: on Sunday my sister and I made plans to paint the appartment: living room and hall way in two tones of yellow, kitchen in three tones of peach and terracota, kitchen veranda door terracota, verandas colour not decided yet. I will also do stencils, which I love! We are expecting friends for the baptism, I told you. I wanted to change the colours but was not brave enough. She is the bold one regarding this - she is 26!!!

Till this weekend I must find a way to send you the lace file!

Let me stop here for tonight.

Love!
Κατερίνα, η Ελληνίδα Αράχνη (you can read this, I will not translate)

No comments: