Monday, January 30, 2006

My last weekend

Kalispera!

I am drinking my afternoon coffee (a tradition since I came to Hyperion, not nescafe', the real coffee - turkish/greek) and will take a break to write highlights of my weekend related to Arakhne. I would really like a lokum with the coffee.....

I am making samples for my new knit, the one in green/mauve mohair. I still haven't decided upon the correct needle size and I get upset when I have to undo what I knitted!

I am also very much taken by a book I am reading these days. Actaully, it is a trilogy called "Les Enfants de Salonique" and written by Bernard Lenteric, a French. The story begins in Thessaloniki, around 1880 and gives a very vivid description of people's lives and relationships between Greeks and Turks mainly, but also Jews and Slavs in the background. Fascinating! A friend of mine recommended the books to me when we were in Paris many years ago. Then I had found volumes 2 and 3. Last time I was in Paris 10 days ago, I had only a few hours and went only for dinner and to look at books and I found volume 1!!!! So I started reading it immediately!

Lace related news: my sister will baptize the daughter of a close friend in the end of April here in Nicosia. She and mama are making all the clothes for the baby and she asked me to do bibila on the underware and cap and maybe the dress also. Of course, I will post the pictures here.

Yesterday I watched an old boradcast dedicated to one of our singers, Glykeria, who sings "anatolitika" - eastern - songs mainly. One of the guests was Omar Farouk Tekbilek. It was the first time I listened to him and liked very much his songs. He has sung with Glykeria Greek songs in duet - fantastic...

Tonight I am going to a concert: composer Thanos Mikroutsikos presents his two masterpieces 'Southern Cross" ("Σταυρός του Νότου") and "Horizon Lines" ("Γραμμές τών Οριζόντων") based on the poetry of Nikos Kavvadias, a sailor who wrote poems on the ships during his life time. 4 singers and the composer himself on the piano! The CD may be in the next Pandora's envelop, but I am not sure whether you will like the songs, as it is a little peculiar and the important part are the poems.

I am going back to work now!
I always write too much!

Love,
Κατερίνα

No comments: